Dear 23 year-old Antoine Wilson,
Here’s a list of ten things you might consider but probably won’t:
10. When you pick up the pen, put down the pipe.
9. If something you’ve written is blowing your mind, it’s probably a cliche. You just don’t know it yet.
8. Your most interesting material is all around you, not in some far-off land.
7. Seek out instruction, then decide what to reject.
6. Read “Tradition and the Individual Talent” and get over yourself.
5. Meet the reader halfway. Not more, not less.
4. Nobody cares how clever you can be.
3. When someone you respect tells you that your work reminds them of something you have not read, go read it!
2. Find other writers to share work with. Be supportive but critical.
1. You are confident now only because you don’t know how hard it will be.
38 year-old Antoine Wilson